Monday, April 30, 2007

Gopher Matt Spaeth selected in NFL Draft

I was reading on Gopher Football Tickets .com that Gopher tight end Matt Spaeth was selected in the NFL draft by the Pittsburg Steelers - Way to go Matt! I knew he was a definite possibility; after all, he was named the 2006 Bronko Nagurksi Award winner as the Gophers’ Most Valuable Player! He was also selected as one of the honorees for the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award and in 2006 Matt Spaeth was second on the team in receptions and receiving yards, catching 47 passes for 564 yards with four touchdowns.

I saw Matt on a local news station interview and he just seems so mellow and down to earth. He kept saying how playing football on Friday nights in Minnesota as a high school player you dream of playing at the University and then at the University you dream of playing in the NFL and how cool it is to see your dreams come to life. He said in an interview after he was selected, “I am so excited to be part of a great football tradition like the Pittsburgh Steelers,” said Spaeth. “I don’t think it has completely hit me yet, but I am looking forward to contributing to their new regime and helping the Steelers to future success.” I will definitely follow Matt Spaeth. Gopher Girl liked the Steelers before anyway and now I just have another reason to cheer them on. Congrats Matt!

No comments:

What would you like to see more of on this blog?